Employment Law/Mandatory direct deposit in arizona

Question
My wife got a job with mccs on base here with the option to have direct deposit. So she was hired with the option of paper checks or direct deposit. They recently posted a bulletin at her work stating it's mandatory for direct deposit or they with withhold her checks. When asked they told her it was because doing paper checks was too much work. When she went to a higher manager he said it was mandatory. Now making it mandatory would have to make her get a bank account. I've read up and heard about cash cards but I'm still confused on weather or not what her employer is doing is legal. I appreciate your time

Answer
California employers may deposit wages directly into a bank account only for employees who voluntarily agree to such an arrangement. Employers may not make direct deposit a condition of employment. They must allow each employee to choose the bank or financial institution for direct deposit of his wages.

I would suggest that you contact Your district office of California Department of Labor. You can find contact information at this website; http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DistrictOffices.htm

They can call the employer and let them know that they cannot legally mandate direct deposit in California.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR