Employment Law/Payroll changes

Question
I work in homecare, just turned in my time sheet for Dec 17- Dec 30. Get paid every 2 weeks, should be paid on the 4th. Was called today with no prior notice that payroll as of Jan 1 would be moved to the 15th and 30th, no pay this week. I now have to go 4 weeks without a check. Is this legal? Do I have no control at all?

Answer
It depends on the state in which you work. Some states have different laws than other states. The payperiods and payment of wages is administered by the State Department of Labor.

I know why they are doing it and it doesn't make it right. I went ahead and did payroll and my people will be paid on Jan 4, however, I was forced to use the 6.2 Social Security rate instead of the 4.2 rate currently in effect to take in consideration of the tax changes which are expiring on Jan 1. No deal has been reached to extend them by Congress.

I had to work Sunday to do payroll so I could process and send to the bank in order that the employees will be paid on Friday because we are closed on Tuesday as are all the banks. Many payroll people will not do this.

They are probably changing payroll periods because of this.

Your point of contact to see if it is legal or not would be your State Department of Labor as they are the ones that oversee the payment of wages in their state. So Call you local Department of labor and talk to them about it. They will tell you if it is legal or not if not they will call your company and you will have to be paid sooner.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR