Employment Law/Salaried Employees PTO and Holidays

Question
Working for a nursing home in IL, where we have a PTO policy where all personal time, sick days, and Holidays are lumped together. Employees do not get PTO until after 6 months. I have a salaried employee who has not earned her PTO, She did not work the Christmas Holiday and is now short her Salaried Hours, She should be at 88 for the Pay period and is at 80. IS she required to work the full hours for the week?

Answer
Salaried employees must get paid their full week pay if they work any part of the week. The only time they can be docked is if they take off one day for personal reasons. If she took a day off for personal reasons she can be docked the day. If it was a holiday and the company was closed and she could not work than she must be paid. If she has PTO it can be used to pay her, if she does not have PTO than you must pay her unless it is personal time off.

Some companies do allow an employee to borrow PTO from future allotments and than it is used when the PTO is earned. That is up to the company if they wish to do that.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR