Employment Law/unpaid mandatory training

Question
My boss told me i have to drive 90 miles to the headquarters for the security company i work for, once i arrive there i have to do hours of mandatory unpaid training, he said its unpaid and i will not be compensated for the gas to drive there and back. is this legal in the state of Minnesota?

Answer
Logan - You are not entitled to reimbursement for the gas mileage, although you can take the cost as a deduction in your federal tax return.  However, you must be paid for the training if it is mandatory.  Employers cannot require employees to receive training that is for the benefit of the employer without paying for the time it takes.  This is a quote from the MN Labor and Industry web site:

You must receive at least the minimum wage per hour for all hours your employer requires you to work, including preparation time, on-the-job training, opening and closing times, and required meetings. If your employer is not paying the minimum wage or overtime, you can file a claim with the Department of Labor and Industry, Labor Standards unit. Labor Standards will review your complaint to determine what action would be appropriate and inform you of its decision. (See Minnesota Statutes 177.24, 177.25 and Minnesota Rules 5200.0120.)

Feel free to show it to your employer.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire