You are here:

Employment Law/unlawful pay deductions


QUESTION: Can my company deduct large amounts of pay from me for bei.g late on delivery, or calling the owner after hours, or for making a mistake on paperwork?

ANSWER: Robert - Your employer has to pay you your hourly rate for however many hours you work during the work week.  If you are not being paid the correct amount, you can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor.  You don't say what state you work in, so I cannot check your state web site and give you the correct name of your state labor department, but it, too, may be able to help you with a wage claim.  

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Do i have a claim? Over $1300.00 has been taken from me sence sept of thks year woth no explanation.

Robert - If you have been paid anything less than your hourly rate for the number of hours you have worked for the employer, then yes, you have a claim.  It will have to be the federal Department of Labor that helps you, however, because the Georgia Department of Labor does not do wage claims for workers.

Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret M. deMarteleire


I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.


Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]