Employment Law/7 hour sitting telemarketing

Question
7 hours of telemarketing what is the law for breaks, lunch.

Answer
The federal government and the FLSA does not cover breaks or vacation time. These items are covered by state regulations state by state.

http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/State/Pennsylvania.html

Pennsylvania says that breaks are not mandatory for those over the age of 17.

Meals and Break

Pennsylvania employers are required to provide a 30 minute break period to employees
ages 14 through 17 who work five or more consecutive hours. Child Labor Law, Act of
1915, P.L. 286, No. 177, Section 4.  Employers are not required to give breaks for
employees 18 and over. PA Dept. of Labor: Wage and Hour FAQs.  If an employer chooses
to provide breaks, and the break last less than 20 minutes, it must be paid. If an employer
allows meal periods, it does not have to be paid if the employee does not work during the
meal period and it lasts more than 20 minutes. Pennsylvania Code 231.1

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR