Employment Law/is it against the law to not have a break in Kentucky

Question
I work at a hospital and I work midnight's anywhere from 8 to 9 hours a day and I was told I could not have a 10 min break. Can my employer get in trouble and what can I do about this

Answer
You are entitled to a rest period of at least ten (10) minutes during each four hours you work.  The rest period is a paid break.

You are entitled to a reasonable period for a meal no sooner than the third nor later than the fifth hour of your work shift unless you and your employer have mutually agreed to some other arrangement.  A duty-free meal period does not have to be paid.

These answers are on the Kentucky Department of Labor website:

http://www.labor.ky.gov/dows/doesam/Pages/Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx

You can file a complaint here:

https://apps.labor.ky.gov/onlinecomplaint/

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR