Employment Law/Attendance policies between plants

Question
I work for a large global corporation with many plants in the United States. For our division there was an attendance policy sent out via-e-mail which was supposed to be for all salary non-exempt employees to read and send back. However, immediately afterward our plant HR person sent an e-mail saying to disregard that message and that we would be sticking with our current "plant" attendance policy. The policies are definitely not the same, our "plant" version is much stricter. My questions are: Is having two different policies for the same pay grade of employees, between two different plants of the same division, same overall corporation legal? Does this fit under the whole Fair and Equal Treatment in employment as discrimination? What if anything can be done to legally make these two policies the same or do they actually have the right to do this? If it is discrimination is it enough that it's different plants of the same company and employees of the same pay grade not including the same division?
Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance!

Answer
Well don't shoot the messenger. The government neither regulates nor controls attendance policies. These are left up to each individual company. If the company wants to have one attendance policy for administration and one for the plant and another for the warehouse it is not illegal for them to do so. It is not illegal to have one policy for one plant and another for the 2nd plant.

To give you an example Walmart is a corporation and each store has it's own attendance policy.

The only restriction on policies is that the employee must be aware of the policy. It cannot violate either the FLSA or the FMLA or any other law. The employee must be paid for all the time they work and non exempt (hourly) employees must be paid for time and 1/2 for all the hours they work over 40 hours.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR