Employment Law/Benefits at Termination & COBRA

Question
I was terminated from my employer 12/10/12. My termination letter stated my medical benefits along with dependents would be terminated at the end of 12/10/12. I called my HR dept. 12/12 asking if my benefits were extended until the end of the month since I received severance until then and was told yes I had medical benefits until the end of the month. I was glad since I needed to refill some mail order prescriptions, get an eye exam and my wife had some unfinished dental work to get completed. I called my eye doctor 12/28 to schedule an appointment and was told my insurance was cancelled 12/11. I called HR back 12/28 to find out what was up and they said all benefits were canceled in error but have been reinstated until the end of the month. They said should there be any problems with insurance to have it resubmitted. I received my COBRA continuation letter 12/31 which was dated 12/25, past the 14 days period for notification. The COBRA letter stated all benefits were terminated 12/11. In my opinion this was handled very sloppy, do I have any recourse? I would also like to help protect other employees from this happening to them and maybe a fine to my past employer might wake them up.

Answer
You can contact the Department of labor and put in a claim for a cobra violation on receiving the Cobra letter late. You can also talk to them about the insurance ending too soon. They are obligated to provide insurance through the last day of the month in which you worked.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR