Employment Law/Demoted without feedback

Question
I work for an individually owned company in Ohio. I worked in a Management position. I was called into the owner's office and told that I was being demoted and someone from my team would be taking my place and that I would be filling her place with a significant pay cut. At no time was I given coaching, feedback, or a review. I was never told this was a posibility or given a chance to change perceived behaviors.

When I asked for the reasons behind my demotion, I was told that I had "hourly mentality." The example I was given was that I did not work week ends when large projects were due(normally I work about 50 hours Monday-Friday and this "week end work" expectation was never requested or discussed).

Is it legal to be demoted with a pay cut without feedback knowing that the only reason I was given is that I don't work extra hours on the week ends?

Answer
Neil:

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the employer is completely within his legal rights to do this, unless you have a written or oral employment contract providing that you are entitled to some form of due process before being demoted.  If you know of any facts suggesting there might possibly be discrimination involved here based on your race, age, gender, religion, national origin, marital status or disability, then in theory you might be able to make a claim under federal or state discrimination laws.  Otherwise, the law does not regulate employer conduct that is unfair or oppressive.

Again, I'm sorry I could not give you better news, but I hope this is helpful to you.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill