Employment Law/general manager taking tables and receiving texts

Question
I work in a restaurant in California in my general manager who is a salaried employee consistently schedule servers 15 minutes after opening during this time it is not uncommon for him to serve 124 tables to which he keeps the tips from. this is the case with the table side down 15 minutes before the server arrive or 30 seconds before the server arrives. it is also not uncpmmon for the same manager to pick up tables in Deering are you busy part of the shift without asking whether or not the service staff can handle taking said tables. I have always been on the impression that a salary manager is not allowed to keep tips. this restaurant also does to go orders and it is our policy that we split the tip from a to go order what everyone that Dealt with said order. this manager also make a point of making sure that he does something with every to go order in order to either take the entire tip or some of the tip. I have work in several restaurants and this is the first restaurant where manager has ever taken tips from guests. I've tried to look of the legality of this and cannot find any information.

Answer
Labour code 351 prevents employers or their agents (managers) from taking tips from employees.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_tipsandgratuities.htm

check out the rules on the above California government website which also tells you how to file a claim.

shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR