Employment Law/holiday payroll

Question
I was just told today that my pay this Friday is going to be "guesstimated" and so will next week's as the payroll person is on holidays. Not to worry if there are any discrepancies they'll make it up. My pay varies week to week so they figure they'll just get as close as they can. Is this legal? Should I have been advised sooner so that I could have made some other financial arrangements? I haven't been there long enough to receive stat holiday pay so my check will be small as it is.
Thank you for your help.

Answer
Michael - Generally speaking, you have to be paid all of your earnings on your regular pay day.  However, your employer is doing its best to get everyone paid promptly, and you can help by getting your hours to whomever is handling payroll in the regular person's absence.  There is no notice requirement.  This seems to be an aberration, not a deliberate violation of the law.  Maybe you'll get more money rather than less.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire