Employment Law/Layoff and recall

Question
I was recently laid off due to lack of work, and was told if the work load picked up we might be called back to work. My question is, if work picks up does the employed have to give you your job back before they post that same job in the paper or on a website? I live I the state of Michigan.

Answer
Lori - Unless you are in a union with provisions for call backs, you have no right to be rehired.  It's entirely up to the employer who to hire for a job, and if it wants to look outside the pool of previous employees, it has the right to do so.  If you are in a union, the employer usually has an obligation to former employees before looking to others.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire