Employment Law/pay cut

I live in Ohio and was told today be fired or take a $4 pay cut. Is this legal, and if so why? I can't deduct that amount lost from all my bills and my health insurance can't be canceled w/o a penalty and my son must have it! I pay 100% of it and will no longer be able to afford it. My employer said to bad. What can I do? 11 plus yrs with this company.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do except look for another job that pays what you are making. The law states that you must be paid at least minimum wage. The company is not required to pay more than minimum wage for your state or federal minimum wage.

Your wages cannot be cut by 4.00 if it will put you below minimum wage. Minimum wage for 2013 in Ohio is 7.85 per hour. It is higher that the federal minimum wage which is 7.25 per hour.  

If the 4.00 cut in pay puts you into the lower income bracket you may be able to get chip insurance for your child. http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/state/ohio/index.html.  If you do not qualify for this beginning soon there will be insurance exchanges set up that you can buy reasonable insurance as part of the PPACA bill signed by President Obama.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada