Employment Law/Paycheck Distribution

Question
I work for a home health services company in Minnesota. I believe it is privately owned. We are paid every 2 weeks. Paychecks for main office employees ONLY are either given to or picked up by the employee on payday Friday, while ALL OTHER employees' paychecks are mailed. At one time non-office employees were allowed to pick up their paycheck at the main office before 4:00p on payday Friday. This practice was discontinued. Non-office employees must now wait until their check is delivered via U.S. mail, which at times takes up to 3 or more days. Is it fair to offer office employees the ability to receive their paycheck on payday Friday while all other non-office employees much wait on the U.S. mail for theirs?  The company does not offer direct deposit.
Thank you.

Answer
If you are willing to go to the main office and pickup you paycheck I see no reason why that is not allowed. I would ask them to allow you to do this. If they do not than I would call the Department of labor and let them know what is going on. They may ask the company to prepare the checks 3 days sooner so they arrive on payday instead of 3 days after payday.  They will speak to  your company about this and more than likely you will be allowed to pick your check up at the main office.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR