Employment Law/punching in on time

Question
Our situation is a little unique for where we work. A bus must shuttle us in from the parking lot where we park which is about a mile or so away from the main building where we can punch in. We are forced to come in 15 minutes early and be on company property and wait for the bus so we are not late. There is no punch in station where the buses pick us up. Can we be paid for this time since we are on company property and on company time even though its not our fault that the buses can make us late and they refuse to put punch in stations in a reasonable spot from where we are forced to park?

Answer
Alexander:

Under Federal law, in general, walking or riding time prior to the actual commencement of your work shift is, under the terms of Section 4(a)(1) of the Portal-to-Portal Act, not considered compensable working time.  It is not part of the "principal activity" for which your employer pays wages.  If you are not asked to perform any work or do any activity for the benefit of the employer's business during your waiting and riding time, and are free to pursue personal activity such as reading a newspaper, reading or sending email or text messages, etc., this would strengthen the employer's argument that the time is non-compensable.  

On the other hand, if you are required to do anything during your waiting and riding time prior to actually punching in, such as picking up tools, receiving instructions from the employer about your work, talking to customers, etc., then once you start any such activity your "clock" would be deemed to have started under the law, even if you have not yet actually punched in.

Questions on this topic are always very fact-specific, so you may want to go ahead and contact the nearest field office of the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) to speak with a staff person and get further guidance.  You can find the nearest office by looking up your state on the map at the top of this web page:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/

I hope you find this helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill