Employment Law/Question on Employment Law

Good day
I wanted to find out if a women's owned company has the ability to hire only women. In other words does it being women owned give it the ability to hire only women and exclude men?
How come at some women owned companies there are only women working there?
Are there any laws saying that a women's owned company must hire men?
S. Mahabir

See my previous answer.

I implied, but did not state clearly, that some employers are not covered by the Civil Rights Act.  If a business is very small, (less than 15 employees, in most states), then it is not covered, and may lawfully hire only men or only women.  However, the laws of the specific state where the business is located must also be checked.

In Florida, the threshold is the same as under the Federal law--15 or more employees must have been employed for at least 20 weeks during the previous 12 months.  Here is a link to the Florida version of the Civil Rights Act.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill

I can answer questions about any U.S. labor or employment law question. I cannot answer questions about non-US law. I am not a specialist in employee benefit law (ERISA and HIPAA) or Workers' Compensation law, but will do my best to point questioners toward good resources availabe online. Expertise includes, without limitation, EEO/Affirmative Action/Employment discrimination (Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, GINA, Fair Credit Reporting Act as applied to employment); Fair Labor Standards Act; Texas labor code; Family Medical Leave Act; employee compensation; discipline and dismissal; force reductions, severance pay programs and administration; collective bargaining, union representation, grievances and arbitration, National Labor Relations Act and National Labor Relations Board; employee handbooks; staffing; dispute resolution outside of traditional labor agreements; employee communications; employment policies and compliance programs; codes of ethics; employment or labor litigation.

30+ years experience as corporate counsel for a Fortune 100 telecom company, specializing in labor and employment law issues. In addition to providing day-to-day advice to my company's internal HR leadership and staff, I've represented the company in numerous labor arbitration cases and at the bargaining table.

Texas, Illinois and Missouri state bars

J.D. 1979, Harvard Law School. B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1976, Illinois Wesleyan University.