Employment Law/Severance and Unemployment Benefits

Question
I was laid off from my job after many years and was given a 6 months severance package. Based on your earlier response to a similar question, I will need to "declare the severance on my unemployment forms as amounts received." I have not found, yet, any reference in the documents and forms I received, or on the TWC website, that refers to declaring the severance on my unemployment forms. Which UNEMPLOYMENT FORMS are you referring to?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Barbara

Answer
Generally you fill out online a form each week to collect unemployment. This amount would be declared as amounts received. You might want to also check with the Texas Department of Labor as I am not in Texas and I do not think so but it is possible that Texas has different laws. You can call them just to make sure. In my state Severence is considered amounts received from the employer.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR