Employment Law/getting a sub contractor ss# for submitting a 1099

Question
i have an issue, person that we put to work as a sub contractor refuses to give out his ss@ because he does not want to receive a 1099 because he has filed to ssi and does not want any issues with that, but did not tell us that he had done so until he had earned 1322.00 from us. what can i do to still file the 1099

Answer
What you do is tell him if you do not have the SS# there is a 50.00 fine. If he does not give it to you he needs to pay the 50.00 fine. You can send in the 1099 without a social security number. They will send you a letter saying that you will be penalized 50.00 for not haveing the number on the file.

Good suggestion: when you hire the contractor get their number up front just like you do the ss# for the employee.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR