Employment Law/I think my employer is doing me wrong

Hi im working for a small factory and they r in ttouble with money due to the irs and i havent been paid in two wks so im behind two checks cuz im paid wkly. We was suppose to b paid friday for one check but they didnt have the money yet and now they pushed it to noing something or the ppl who havent been laid off will get both checks if they dont take the option of a lay off i dont want to take the lay off cuz idk if ill get unemployment and i have 2went kids i cant just wait for either party to pay me what do i do plz help

Brandy - Employers have an obligation to pay employees on their regularly-scheduled pay day.  If they are not doing so, you can file a wage claim with the federal or state Labor Department, and they will help you to get the money you are owed.  However, if the company does not have the money, you may face lay off anyway.  Good luck.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006