Employment Law/Out of time pay for non-exempt

Question
Hello. We have employees that go out of state for appointments. Lets say their first appointment is from 12-2 and their next appointment is from 6-8. Are they supposed to be compensated for the down time hours between 2 and 6? Thank you for your answer in advance.

Answer
Non exempt are only paid for the time they are working. The only exception is if they are on standby and must sit by their phone waiting for a call and cannot go about their business as usual waiting for a call.

If you can go to the grocery store, take you cell phone, and still wait for a call than you are not compensated.

If you are told you cannot leave your home or office and must stay there waiting for a call than it is on call time and you must be compensated.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR