Employment Law/travel reimbursement

Question
I currently work for a company in Massachusetts and travel to a satellite office with my personal vehicle one day per week.  I was recently informed that I would no longer be reimbursed since the travel occurs "before" and "after" business hours. Is this accurate?

Answer
Lisa - This (below) is straight out of the Massachusetts Employer's Guide to Wage and Hour Laws:

Travel Time and Expenses
An employee who is required to travel from one place to another during the workday must be
compensated for all time spent traveling at the same rate as for working time and must be reimbursed for all transportation expenses. If, for the employer’s convenience, an employee is required to report to a location other than her regular work site, the beginning of the work day is construed to include only the additional time it would take for the employee to travel from the regular work site to the alternate work site and return, and expenses will be reimbursed
for any additional transportation needed.  (link at http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/subject/about/hours.html).

If you are an exempt employee, you need not be paid for any additional time it takes you to get to the second location, but you must be paid your transportation costs.  If you are non-exempt, you may even be entitled to overtime for any time it takes to get to the other office that is over and above what time it takes you to get to your regular workplace.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire