Employment Law/trianing wages for non exempt employees

Question
I work for an organization that requires all employees to maintain and be current on specified certifications. The training is on site and during normal working hours.  It is a condition of employment to maintain your certs.  The company does pay you for your time but at a wage training rate. Their training rate is defined as your hourly rate up to the maximum of $10 per hour. If your hourly rate is under $10 per hour you simply are paid your hourly rate.  If your hourly rate is over you are paid $10 for the training hours.  Is this legal to penalize employees whose rate is greater than the max training rate?  You basically take a mandatory pay cut when you have training hours.  Thanks

Answer
The Department of labor only requires that minimum wage be paid. The training does benefit the employee in that he is having his certification paid and training paid while he is still being paid.

If you are receiving 10.00 an hour you are receiving more than is mandated.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR