You are here:

Employment Law/unemployment interstate claim


I live in Va. I mostly work out of state, for the last 4 years. During which I claim my unemployment from Pa normally. For some reaspn the employer I work for has paid my unemployment for the last year to Va even all my out of state work. now Im out of town working for months at a time and pay state taxes on my payroll to the state I'm working in. My Question is, is there a way to retract what has been done and pay the respective state there share or at least Pa so i can claim my benifits from there. Im sure you know that va unemployment is $100 to 200 a week less than other states, at least the ones I work in.

James - What you receive in benefits is determined by your wages, not by what your employer paid.  If PA is the state in which you spent the most time, file a claim in PA but let them know that you worked in other states, too.  They'll figure out what you are entitled to receive.  Retracting things is not necessary.

Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret M. deMarteleire


I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.


Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006

©2017 All rights reserved.