Employment Law/Withholding pay from salaried Employees

Question
Can an employer withhold pay from an exempt employee for failure to complete a timesheet? If so, under what circumstances is this allowed? Are there regulations that can be cited to support the answer?

Answer
No an employer cannot withhold pay from an exempt employee for failure to complete a timesheet. The employee must be paid whether or not a timesheet exists and whether the employee is exempt or non exempt.

This is because the Department of labor holds the employer responsible for know when the employees are working and when they are not working.

It is the employer's responsibility to keep track of all hours worked and pay for these hours by the statutory deadline for payment of wages.
If an employee does not turn in a timesheet, it does not relieve the employer's obligation to keep track of the hours and pay the employee. The employer may write up, verbally warn, or immediately terminate the employee who is late turning in a timecard, but the hours worked must still be paid.

The main issue is that there are no significant penalties for late payroll while the employee is still employed. The only real penalty is a civil penalty which requires a great deal of procedures to be followed before you can sue for it. This is why many companies can get away with delaying pay until a card is submitted. It is really just a case of the technicallities of the law requiring one thing, and the realities of enforcement allowing a very different practice to take place.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR