Employment Law/Check deposited into the wrong account.

Question
Hello,

I recently started working for a new company.  I gave my boss a check for them to enter the direct deposit information.  When my first direct deposit was scheduled to come,  I never received anything.  After looking at the stub,  I realized they entered the incorrect number for the account (a typo) and after talking to my bank the money was found in someone elses account.

The bank tells me its not their issues and my company has to reverse it.  I have been getting the run around from my company and the bank for 4 weeks now.  My company now says it had to be done within 5 days and I did not call the corporate hotline fast enough.  When this happened I went to my manager first the next day, who told me she would look into it, and by the time I was given the number to the hotline it was 7 days after the incorrect deposit.

Do I have any legal action?  

Thank you.

Answer
Since you gave them the correct information and they put it in wrong it is their responsibility.   If they do not pay you your wages than call your local department of labor and file a claim for unpaid wages.

You might first talk to your supervisor again and let him know that you have to be paid and that you gave the correct information it is not your fault the company entered it wrong. That you had a reasonable expectation that the company would enter your information correctly. You have to be paid and if you are not you will have to file a claim with the labor departmnet to be paid.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR