Employment Law/At Will Employment

Question
Hello,

I wanted to inquire about employment rights associated with employment at-will. As business consultant, I was employed on a government project and was selected for extended jury duty. Immediately following the completion of jury duty, I was dropped from the project (thus not earning billable hours).

Could I be subject to discrimination? I'm also concerned because an associate of the Human Resources department requested a meeting. I have never heard of this individual and it seems that ever since a manager wrote a defamatory interim performance review (rating of 3/5) I have been deselected for any project opportunities. Please note, there are several work streams with needs for consultants and the company hired an additional 25 employees.

Thanks,
Paul

Answer
Jury duty should not play a part in company performance as it is mandatory and most companies recognize this. You cannot be harrassed because you are on Jury duty.

In order to fild a complaint for discrimination with the Deparmtent of Labor it must be on the grounds of Race, Age, Nationality, Skin Color, gender, or sexual orientation.

You can file a complaint of Harassment if you are harrassed because of your Jury Duty. You would call the Department of Labor for this.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR