Employment Law/Payroll deductions with consent

Question
with an employee's consent, can an employer deduct a petty cash shortage from the employee's paycheck?

Answer
Based on the Iowa Department of Labor rules and regulations I would say no this is not legal even with an employees consent.

Here is the website:http://www.iowaworkforce.org/labor/wagefaqs.pdf

Here is the answer :

17. Q. What can be deducted from my wages?

A. Items on the following list can be deducted from wages. For exceptions see Iowa Code Chapter 91A.5.
1. Taxes
2. Garnishments
3. Deductions for any lawful purpose accruing to the benefit of the employee if the employee has given written authorization for the deduction (for example, insurance, 401K, pensions, bonds and savings programs).

Items on the following list cannot be deducted:

1. Cash shortages in common money till
2. Losses due to breakage, damage, acceptance of bad checks, and default of customer credit except in certain limited cases
3. Lost or stolen property unless certain conditions are met
4. Tips
5. Personal protective equipment in most cases
6. Moving costs except in certain cases

I would say that unless a police report is filed or the person is charges with theft and taken to court it cannot be deducted.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR