Employment Law/Unemployment benefits and severance

Question

After 35 years, my Mom is being separated from her job because they are essentially eliminating her position. She is actually employed by a hospital. The Labor Relations dept. are offering her six months severance pay, which she was told is the minimum required for someone with her tenure (35 years).

Labor Relations also told her that "we will not contest unemployment benefits" (probably as an inducement to get her to go quietly). This triggered a question for her: Can she still collect unemployment benefits even though she is getting a severance??

Also, is there any advice you could provide regarding how she should request the severance payment to be structured so that she can still collect unemployment? (for example, made as one lump payment versus spread over six months  etc.?

Note: My Mom is in Illinois, but we are asking this as a general question and of course it's understand there may be variance between states.

Thank you so much in advance, Josh

Answer
Unemployment can be collected but only after the severence is paid.  If she collects the severence in a lump sum than unemployment can be collected the next month after the severence is paid. If she collects 6 months on a month to month basis than unemployment cannot be collected until after the severence is paid out. If the severence is less a month than her regular wages she may be able to get partial unemployment.

The other side is a lump sum will mean more taxes taken out than receiving it in 6 monthly sums. If the taxes are not owed than she will get a refund when she files her taxes. Also if the 6 months severence goes over into a different year it will make a difference between monthly payments and a lump sum on her tax return for the years.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR