Employment Law/Unemployment benefits and severance pay

Question

After 35 years, my Mom is being separated from her job because they are essentially eliminating her position. She is actually employed by a hospital. The Labor Relations dept. are offering her six months severance pay, which she was told is the minimum required for someone with her tenure (35 years).

Labor Relations also told her that "we will not contest unemployment benefits" (probably as an inducement to get her to go quietly). This triggered a question for her: Can she still collect unemployment benefits even though she is getting a severance??

Also, is there any advice you could provide regarding how she should request the severance payment to be structured so that she can still collect unemployment? (for example, made as one lump payment versus spread over six months  etc.?

Note: My Mom is in Illinois, but we are asking this as a general question and of course it's understand there may be variance between states.

Thank you so much in advance, Josh

Answer
Josh:

Tell your Mom not to worry.  While there are variances among the states in claim and hearing procedures, amounts of benefits and other details, the standards for receiving unemployment compensation are remarkably similar in all the states.  One of the principal qualifications in every state is that the person claiming unemployment benefits has lost their job through no fault of their own.  Receipt of severance benefits from the employer is not relevant to the determination of a claim.  My guess is the Labor Relations manager made the statement about not contesting unemployment benefits simply to reassure your Mom, because in the situation you've described, where the person's job is being eliminated by the company, the employer almost certainly would not succeed in contesting eligibility anyway.

One other requirement consistent across the states is that the claimant must be available for and actively seeking a new job. So be sure she undertakes an active and serious job search before she applies.

Here is a link to some good information from the Illinois Department of Employment Security, which administers that state's unemployment insurance program:

http://www.ides.illinois.gov/page.aspx?item=888

I hope you and your Mom find this helpful.  

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill