Employment Law/Hostile work environment

I don't know what to do. I have been a cashier at Dollar Tree Inc. for a few years now. 2 weeks ago, there was a shift in management. One of the assistant managers was transferred to another store, and we got a new store manager. Both the new assistant manager and store manager have been completely rude and hostile with all of our other workers. I and several other employees have spoken to harshly, being told our old policies were trash, and that we were never trained right, and did not know how to properly do our jobs. The majority of our staff feel threatened by the new management team.

My new store manager has an incredibly aggressive demeanor, even her tone of voice is that way. Since her arrival, our store have lost two loyal customers who would buy several hundred dollars of merchandise from our store every month. Also, I witnessed  an altercation between her and a customer. A few children were running around the toy isle when she yelled harshly at them to stop running in her store. The mother of the two children, came up to the register and asked for the store manager to file a complaint. My store manager then told her in a rude tone that it was her who yelled at the children. The customer became angry with the voice which the store manager used with her children and started yelling at my store manager. My store manager yelled back. (this was all taking place while I was ringing that very same customer's items up.) My store manager then yelled at the customer to leave her store, that she would not be disrespected in her own store. She did not even let the customer pay for her items before kicking her out of the store.
I really need some direction in how to go about doing something. Everyone in the store is afraid to say anything due to both manager's hostility not only towards their employees, but towards customers as well. Please help.

You need to go talk to someone at the department of labor to address the harrassment of the employees. If more than one of you go it is better. It is against the law to be harrassed at work.

About the customers I think the only thing you can do is to contact the corporate office of Dollar Tree and let corporate know what is happening. Most of the time the corporatate office doesn not know these kind of things are happening and will take action if they find out.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada