Employment Law/Minimum Time On Job Required

Question
QUESTION: What is the minimum amount of time a person needs to be employed with an employer to receive unemployment benefits?  What if they were employed earlier in that same year by you, quit, than later that same year they came back to work for you?

ANSWER: Unemployment benefits are not calculated on the time worked for a company. The employer pays in unemployment benefits on every employee starting with their first check.

When you leave a job and apply for unemployment benefits they look at your last job. Then they start going back to the job before if you do not have enough worked credits to draw on the last position.

It all goes on your work credits and not on the length of time you are at any particular job, but the length of time worked in a quarter.

Shirley

QUESTION: Thank you!  So, we have an employee who worked from January - July (quit).  Then we rehired him in September in which he has been employed with us since then.  Based upon what you said, he can still collect unemployment against us eventhough he quit?

His opportunity to collect from "us" is not hampered (for him) because he quit?

Answer
He can only draw if he quit if the Department of Labor allows him to draw. Uually if you quit without good reason you are not allowed to draw unemployment at all. It depends on the situation and the state Department of labor. Some states are more lenient than others. It just depends on your state.  

I explained how it worked if he were to draw unemployment. If he is no eligible than he cannot draw at all.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR