Employment Law/unemployment

Question
Shirley,

I recently sold the assets of my Sub S corp that I have owned for over 12 years in the state of AR.  In doing so I had to sign a non-compete agreement for the next 5 years.  I am in the process of re-training in a new career field but that will take a few more months.  I have applied for unemployment and have been told that I have to prove that I had to prove that I had to sell the business, that it was in financial distress, that was after the initial conversation with dept of work force said I could not get benefits because I put down that I quite my job, there was not an option for what really happened.  I own 96% of the Sub S corp.  If they deny my claim what would you suggest be the next step?

Answer
If your unemployment claim is denied the next step would be to ask for a hearing. You are allowed to ask for a hearing if your claim is denied. If you can prove at the hearing that you were forced to sell your business than your unemployment will be restored.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR