Employment Law/payday frequency change

Question
I have been informed that in 2014 my first payday will be January 9, 2014 (work period Dec 30 through January 10)and I will be paid biweekly instead of weekly.  Thursdays has arbitrarily been payday.  Management decided in October at a meeting and I just got a letter November 25, 2013.  I live in the state of Virginia.  Shouldn't I have received more advanced notice than just a month?  Since they are changing the pay cycle (from weekly to biweekly), should I not get paid for December 30th and 31st in 2013 and NOT as part of a biweekly salary in 2014?

Answer
You have to be given a 30 day notice for pay changes. 30 days is said to be sufficient notice.

The last two days of the month of December are quite often paid in January. This is not unusual, nor it is illegal. My last December payday is on Dec 20th and the rest of December is paid in January. We have bi-weekly and there are 26 paydays in a year. Dec 20th is my 26th payday for 2013.

Bi-weekly is the most common way to pay employees in the U.S. it is used by most of the companies. Weekly pay is becoming extinct it is not used much anymore.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR