Employment Law/Reimbursement

I am a salaried employee that lives in Georgia and I was asked to go to NY to help another co-worker with her recruiting efforts.  My company pays .54 a mile, reimburses meals and hotel expenses.  Anytime I have driven my car for work I also submit for reimbursement for gas. I have been with them 2 years and this past month my new field manager said that gas was not reimbursable it is included in the mileage.  This was new to me since all this time I had submitted and gotten reimbursed for it.  My husband said that only applies to when you file taxes, that you have to select either gas or mileage. What is the answer?

You either get paid for Gas from receipts or you get paid gas mileage rate. You do not get paid both. If you have in the past than you were being paid twice. I would let the past go, but in the future know that you can only be paid either the gas expense or the mileage rate and not both.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada