Employment Law/Staffing agencies and unemployment

Question
My husband took a job with a staffing agency that lasted for one year and just ended last week.  He is a resident of New York but worked for a company in Minnesota.  His pay stubs showed taxes being paid in New York and the staffing companies address is Pennsylvania but they have offices in New York.  From what state would he receive unemployment benefits?  Both New York and Minnesota seem to think its the others problem.

Answer
He should receive unemployment from the state in which the work was performed. That would be where the SUTA tax was paid. If unsure than contact the staffing agency and find out where the SUTA tax was paid and that state would be able to track the SUTA payments. SUTA is State Unemployment Tax. It is paid by the employer and not by the employee. Wherever the employer Paid the SUTA tax is where the enemployment will be paid.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR