Employment Law/Timecards for NPO with no specific work schedules

Question
I am involved with a non-profit organization (a support organization for professionals in my field). Those of us who work for the non-profit do so in our spare time and direct our own hours. We are paid a certain amount annually for the particular job we do, and we can choose whether to take the money as an honorarium or as a salary (so we can decide which tax implications we want to deal with). The question we can't agree on is this: if we choose to take a salary instead of an honorarium, do we have to submit timecards? Or could a person who takes the salary be considered an independent contractor who chooses to have their payroll taxes paid by the NPO?

Answer
An independent contractor works for the company under contract and bills for his services. He is resposible to pay his own self employment taxes.

If an individual is working and being paid a salary than he is an employee and taxes must be withheld. Timecards would need to be submitted to be paid.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR