Employment Law/Unemployment benefits

hi. I have no idea where to put this question. Maybe you know, or maybe you can point me to the right person/website??

I live in Alabama.

I started working for Walmart Feb 1st 2011. They hired me as part time. I worked until July 2013, when I moved away to get married. I got another job in August and worked that job til October.

My fiancee was killed in October so I had to move back home. I went to Walmart and they hired me back, but as a temp. (Which meant that I had to start all over at min wage with no benefits.)

They are laying me off next week.

Can I receive unemployment?

Kayla - I'm so sorry for your loss and the upheaval in your life recently.

You should definitely apply for unemployment benefits.  Whether you are eligible depends on how much money you have earned in any state or combination of states within the last year or fifteen months.  The UC  office will do a calculation and let you know whether you have enough earnings to qualify.  There is nothing to lose in making the application, which you might even be able to do on-line.

I hope things go better for you in 2014.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006