Employment Law/clocking in and travel pay

Question
I am a non-exempt employee who works at a large health care facility encompassing many different floors and buildings. I work throughout the facility at a different location each shift and must get my assignment location for each shift. My department is instigating a new policy which requires workers to report to the department office at a set location at a set time to get the assignment for the shift, but then travel to another location to clock in.  The previous policy allowed workers to clock in when they received their assignment and then traveled to the assigned location.
I feel this new policy is in violation of Texas Labor Laws, and, possibly company policy, by requiring hourly employees to travel without pay to the assigned floor after reporting to the department.

Answer
Marg:

I am assuming it takes only a minute or two to get your assignment, and also assuming you are not required to perform any work during the time it takes you to travel, whether on foot or otherwise, from the first location to the place where you are assigned that day.  Under these facts, Federal law (the Fair Labor Standards Act, or FLSA) provides that your work day does not begin until you actually clock in or begin performing "...the principal activity or activities which [you are] employed to perform."  Obtaining your work assignment is generally regarded as a "preliminary activity", not part of your "principal activity."   Texas law does not differ from the FLSA in this respect.

However, you also mentioned company policy.  If you believe the employer's policy may be being violated by this practice, you should definitely talk to your HR manager (or union steward, if you are represented) to explore that question.  While it would not be unlawful for your department to violate policy, the employer almost certainly would not want such a practice to continue.

I hope you find this helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill