Employment Law/demotion and pay cut

my daughter has worked for a company for about 6 or 7 years she has a handicapped child that she has to come and get off the bus and take upstairs because I the grand mother had to get another job and the hours doesn't allow me to get my granddaughter off the bus everyday now there days where she has to leave work for about a half hour to forty five minutes. Her job manager said she is now part time and will get hours here and there she is no longer copy center lead and she has ran and trained managers and all the associates since she has been there very loyal and dedicated and they just drop her down like because she has a handy capped child and needs about 45 minutes to get her up stairs. Can a company just do that and strip you of everything after years of loyalty.

Unfortunately there are no laws preventing this. The employee has the burden of hiring someone to help or taking the child to daycare. There is no law that will help. If the child is ill than FMLA allows her to take time off without pay and not be penalized, but not for everyday activities such as you have mentioned.

This is hard, my daughter also has a handicapped child in a wheelchair because of Spina Bifida. She has struggled with this as she is a single parent and now my granddaughter is 14, but is has been a long 14 years for my daughter.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada