Employment Law/Employer ignores EEOC

Question

I was told by my employer that since we are under 50 employees, they are not under any state or federal laws to follow any EEOC guidelines. This includes FMLA, OSHA and any other mandated laws. This is for the state of Wisconsin. I had surgery in 2011 and my physician sent my employer the FMLA form and I was told by our CFO that it didn't apply so he threw it in the trash. That is just one instance. I am just curious about how all this would apply for employers in WI and under 50 employees. I tried EEOC and they wouldn't answer the question.

Answer
In the State of Wisconsin, an individual has 300 days from the date of alleged harm to file a charge with this office against an employer with 15 or more employees for discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, and/or disability. An individual has 300 days from the date of alleged harm to file a charge with this office against an employer with 20 or more employees for discrimination based on age.

Charges against employers of less than 15 employees (for race, color, national origin, sex, religion, and/or disability) or less than 20 employees (for age) must be filed with the appropriate State or local agency within the time limits prescribed by State or local law. These time limits are:
•180 days in the States of Illinois, Iowa, and North Dakota;
•180 days in the State of South Dakota and the City of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, except the State of South Dakota does not have an age discrimination statute;
•300 days in the State of Wisconsin and the City of Madison, Wisconsin;
•one year the State of Minnesota and the Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

http://www.eeoc.gov/field/chicago/timeliness.cfm This office would handle Wisconsin.

They are correct on FMLA

To be eligible for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act, employees must work for a covered employer. Private sector companies must have employed at least 50 workers for 20 weeks or more during the previous 12 months for inclusion under the act.

FMLA is not governed by EEOC office of the Department of Labor but it is covered by the Wage and hour department of the Department of Labor.
Here is the FMLA factsheet.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.pdf

OSHA is also not covered under the EEOC division of the Department of Labor it is regulated under it's own department within the Department of Labor.

http://www.osha.gov/
http://www.osha.gov/about.html

As far as I know OSHA covers all workers.

Shirley

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR