Employment Law/FMLA question

Question
Hello Ms. McAllister,

I am on FMLA leave for a heart condition. I am a union employee as opposed to my supervisors who are not, with is in itself a problem at times. As a union employee it states in our contract that we must give notice of an absence 2 hours prior to our shift starting.I had an episode Monday morning 30 minutes before my shift as i was preparing to leave for work, and called in. I was terminated for this today, but I feel unjustly so as it wasn't an absence it was an FMLA day and I cant predict 2 hours in advance when i am going to have dizzy spells and a headache. Any advice?

Thank You,
Michael

Answer
I would go to your Union grevience committe and talk to them about it. This is an ADA covered condition so you are not only covered under the FMLA you are also covered under ADA. Both are administered by Department of Labor. If you cannot get a satisfactory response from your union grievence committe than take it to the Department of labor and let them handle it.

shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR