Employment Law/oregon vaction time law

Question
I work for a very small business and the company is updating the employee policies. I'm a part time employee and need to know if vacation time is something the company offers by their choice or by Oregon law. The clause in the policy that need to be updates only mention full time employees which brought the question up in the first place.

Answer
Vacation pay is not required by federal law and it is not required by Oregon state law. If vacation is given it is a company benefit paid by the company. It is regulated according to company policy.

Vacation pay, holiday pay, bonuses, sick leave and severance pay are examples of wage agreements which may be made between employers and employees as a part of the employee´s total compensation. There is no requirement to offer these benefits. Your employer is, however, required to honor any established policy or agreement relating to the payment of benefits such as accrued vacation or severance pay upon termination. If you qualify for payment of benefits under the employer´s policy, you should be paid for these upon termination. For more information, contact the Wage and Hour Division of your local Department of Labor.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR