Employment Law/pay decrease for going above and beyond

Question
QUESTION: I've been working for this company for two years and after the first six months thay gave me a promotion to a flat rate pay.so the work has increased and my pay has gone up in I'm doin about136 hours every two weeks....so the owner says no one in that position should make that much money...so he is decreasing my pay by almost half .i don't think this is fair

ANSWER: I don't think this is fair either and you should tell him how you feel. It is not illegal to cut pay, but it is not right to do so.

Shirley

QUESTION: What if he terminates me....for questioning his decision....o have seen him do it before...and can't afford to do so...im not sure how flat rate/peice work works...or the laws ...should i contact the labor board

Answer
You can contact the labor board if you wish but the law says that what he must do is pay you at least minimum wage. The flat rate needs to equal out to at least minimum wage. At least I know it has to in New York and in California. I do not know which state you are in so I couldn't look those laws up for you.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR