Employment Law/payroll

Question
I work for a private ambulance service and are supposed to get paid every two weeks. The 22nd of Feb. was supposed to be payday, but instead we received an email stating that no one was getting paid until Monday. What can be done to correct the problem? This is the second time this year!

Answer
William - There is not a whole lot you can do.  Employers are required to pay employees on the regularly-scheduled pay day.  If they do not, a complaint can be filed with the state or federal Department of Labor, but all they will do is determine whether the pay was received by the time they come to investigate.  By then, you'll have received your salary.   They could fine the company for the lapse, but that doesn't do much to guarantee that your next check will be timely.  Perhaps your company is experiencing cash flow problems - not at all unusual in these times.  No government agency can correct the problem, all they can do is penalize the company for its failure to pay on your pay day.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire