Employment Law/union job

Question
Hi im a member of local 5 for 15 yrs i work for a company for 13yrs i was 6 mo.late paying dues. the union rules state that if u are late paying u only have to pay a penuty i want to pay my late due i was told i could not pay my dues until i take a test.  my B.A. said that the new rules state in the last 2 years if you are late paying dues i have to be reevaluated,but will not show me the new rules. no problems from my job of 13 yrs.i lost my job because i could not get dues paid.im i grandfather in.THANK YOU

Answer
I do not deal with Union wages. I do know that Unions make up their own contracts and those contracts are binding upon the company and the employees. My huaband used to be the Union rep for a sawmill. He said that you should do to the Union and talk to the grevience committee. They can negotiate with the Union board and the company to have you reinstated. Since it is a Union environment and I do not know what is in the contract it would have to come from your Union.

I don't know how much involvement the Department of Labor has with union greviences, but they may be able to help you negotiate with your Union for reinstatement.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR