Employment Law/Work with no pay

Is it legal for a company to ask an salaried employee to work a month without pay?

Judi - It's legal to ask, but not to allow it to happen.  Employees must be paid for their work.  Volunteering isn't allowed to happen with employees because of the potential for abuse by the employer.  If there is no money to pay employees for a month, they should be given a notice to that effect and encouraged to apply for unemployment compensation for the period during which they are out of work.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006