Employment Law/Confidentiality

My employer informed me today that he accidentally sent a personal and confidential email to multiple employees within the company, and a group of people in another organization, that detailed my recent embarrassment surrounding the company reneging on a job offer. His intention was to send the email only to HR but his emails somehow 'meshed'. Either way, people both within the company and outside now know confidential details of my employment.

How concerned should I be about this circumstance? My first instinct was 'mistakes happen' but the more I think about it, an already uncomfortable situation has become even more embarrassing. Would you advise to take further action (besides accepting his apology)? If so, what?

Thank you in advance.

Sound like he made an embarrassing mistake and has apologized for it. You can either let it go, accept his apology and ask him to make sure it never happens again or you can talk to HR about him.
It depends on what you wish to accomplish. Do you want the person to be disciplined for his mistake? You could ask for him to be written up and a copy would go in his employment file.

Unless what he said was a lie and caused you damages or contained medical information it is not illegal as payroll information is not covered under privacy laws.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada