Employment Law/expense reimbursement retaliatory dismissal

Question
I live in Connecticut and worked in Connecticut until Monday, March 4, 2013 (yesterday) when i was dismissed in retaliation for requesting mileage reimbursement for necessary travel after driving my personal vehicle 54 miles over the course of 3 weeks time. My employment contract was "employment at will." Though I was dismissed within several hours of advising the finance director by email and the hr director face-to-face of my upset over the company's after-the-fact, unwritten policy that mileage is not reimbursable, the company offered a different explanation for my dismissal. At the time of exit, the HR Director stated that i was unsuitable for the job. Nevertheless, i can only presume that the proximity of my dismissal to my communication of upset over the unwritten policy is indicative of retaliation.

I have already emailed the HR Director an expense report listing $30 worth of mileage expense at the rate of 56 cents per, and indicated that the company's failure to reimburse in that amount would result in my filing a small claims action for the balance. I understand that the State of Connecticut does not have a policy directive for company travel expense reimbursement of private business employees.

Do i have any other rights in this situation such as filing a wrongful dismissal claim and/or claiming damages? Thanks for your help.

Answer
No, Bob, you have no legal leg to stand on.  Employment at will means you can be terminated at any time for any or no reason at all.  Your employer did nothing in violation of the law, so you cannot argue retaliation for asserting a right.  File for unemployment and start looking for a new job.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire