Employment Law/mice!

i work for a repo company

the office is generally rough in nature. a lot in the woods. small rancher type bldg we use as an office.

well as im typing this there smice running amuck!! all over our feet. today alone ive seen 2/3 of them. not big rats but regular palmsized mice.

this has alwaysssssssssssss been an issue here bc. of the doors opening,closing,the woods near us. but this is insane. i complained and they put down glue traps, maybe 3 of em.  nothing good... them mice dont care about glue pads. i itterally cannot work bc im petrified of getting nibbled on. what do i do!

ps we have a kitchen here and its gross,ants,and mice here too climbing on the shelves and toaster,

can i sue?

My first suggestion is that you contact the county Department of Health where you work and describe this situation to them.  The fact that there is a kitchen in the facility may bring it under their jurisdiction and enable them to conduct an inspection and require the place to be cleaned up.  I hope you're not eating anything prepared in that kitchen!

Another option may be for you to contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.  Under OSHA's "general duty standard", employers are required to keep enclosed workplaces free of vermin.  Here is the language of the standard on this topic:

Vermin control. Every enclosed workplace shall be so constructed, equipped, and maintained, so far as reasonably practicable, as to prevent the entrance or harborage of rodents, insects, and other vermin. A continuing and effective extermination program shall be instituted where their presence is detected.

You can contact OSHA directly, as described on their website:

In the top center of the landing page is information describing how to contact the agency to lodge a complaint about your working conditions.

I hope you find this helpful.

Employment Law

Frank C. Magill

I can answer questions about any U.S. labor or employment law question. I cannot answer questions about non-US law. I am not a specialist in employee benefit law (ERISA and HIPAA) or Workers' Compensation law, but will do my best to point questioners toward good resources availabe online. Expertise includes, without limitation, EEO/Affirmative Action/Employment discrimination (Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans With Disabilities Act, GINA, Fair Credit Reporting Act as applied to employment); Fair Labor Standards Act; Texas labor code; Family Medical Leave Act; employee compensation; discipline and dismissal; force reductions, severance pay programs and administration; collective bargaining, union representation, grievances and arbitration, National Labor Relations Act and National Labor Relations Board; employee handbooks; staffing; dispute resolution outside of traditional labor agreements; employee communications; employment policies and compliance programs; codes of ethics; employment or labor litigation.

30+ years experience as corporate counsel for a Fortune 100 telecom company, specializing in labor and employment law issues. In addition to providing day-to-day advice to my company's internal HR leadership and staff, I've represented the company in numerous labor arbitration cases and at the bargaining table.

Texas, Illinois and Missouri state bars

J.D. 1979, Harvard Law School. B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1976, Illinois Wesleyan University.